Saturday, October 24, 2009

Autumnal treat

Baking is such a soothing activity. There's just something wonderful about eating something warm and tasty right out of the oven.
One cranky morning while getting stuck on homework, I decided to ignore schoolwork for a while and make something sweet and autumnal. Combining apple recipe ideas, I adapted this apple cake/tart recipe from the Traveler's Lunchbox. I believe this vaguely resembles a clafoutis, as it is unleavened batter sitting on top/around fruit, and the whole thing turns out quite thin, and slightly crispy on the edges.
As an aside, pots and pans that can also go into the oven are one of the best things ever. Who needs extra clutter with bakeware when you can just use a pot or pan? 
(I'd have taken a picture to post here, but with only 3 servings and 3 roommates, well, it's gone now.)
With the first bite, my grumpiness melted away and I felt as if I were tasting the essence of all the cozy parts of autumn. 
Makes 3 small, 2 medium, or 1 large serving of Apple Autumn Tastiness.
1 medium-sized apple
(I think it was a Gala but really, all I know is that it was red.)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/3 cup melted butter
(mine was salted - if I had unsalted butter I'd add a pinch of salt as well)
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 egg
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apple and place in a layer to cover the bottom of the pan (mine was probably 8"), and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  3. Combine the sugar, butter, yogurt, vanilla, egg, and flour and pour on top of the sliced apples.
  4. Bake for 30 min or until slightly brown and crispy on the edges. 
As you can see, it is incredibly simple, and as you will discover, so incredibly tasty. People tend to like coating their apples with lemon juice/sugar/flour, but I don't care and am too lazy about that stuff. My stomach doesn't care if the apples are brown. Besides, they're hiding under a thin cake blanket so you can't see them.
I will totally be making this again. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment